Well, it’s been a long time since our last PrimaryBlogger update hasn’t it? We’ve been hard at work on new features for PrimaryBlogger, making it faster, safer and more productive than ever.
It’s been a long 10 months since we moved PrimaryBlogger to new servers and software, we hope you now feel that we’re much quicker than we used to be. We want to thank everyone who’ve supported us this year and congratulate all bloggers who took part in the EducationBlogAwards and other competitions. It’s been great to see so many schools being talked about in newspapers and even mention of Prince Charles and Camilla looking at some of your blogs!
This update is for us to take an opportunity to update you all on recent developments and additions at PrimaryBlogger so you can make use of them all, so here’s a quick overview:
- Primary Technology’s own My School Holidays widget is now available in Appearance > Widgets to showcase your school holidays for pupils, staff, parents and carers. All you need to do is add your school details in Settings > My School Holidays.
- We’ve made it easier to log in and manage your blogs via the PrimaryBlogger homepage. Now all you need to do is click the Log in button and a box will pop up allowing you to log in, afterwards you’ll see a list of all your blogs with quick links showing you how many comments you have pending moderation and access to various sections of your Dashboard.
- Sign up is now all part of the PrimaryBlogger website. Previously if you clicked Create Account we had a custom page, it didn’t look very nice. You are now contained in our website. Check out another exciting appendage to this in the next point!
- No email address for pupils? No problem! Not any more anyway, you can now sign up with a fake email address if you don’t have one accessible. You can also set your password at user registration! We hope this solves a lot of problems that some bloggers were having when signing up and losing their passwords. If you sign up this way now, from the PrimaryBlogger homepage, you’ll be given your user details at the end of the sign up process.
- We’re now much, much, much faster than we used to be. Blog pages sometimes took over 15 seconds to load, this wasn’t acceptable so we had to do something about it. Fiddling around with the servers a lot and WordPress, the software PrimaryBlogger uses, we’ve managed to get page loads down to, in some cases, 0.1 seconds. Hope that’s ok for you?
- Pricing for Pro and School Website accounts has now been finalised and is available at http://primaryblogger.co.uk/features/. Bulk pricing is available in the dashboard, we’ll be concentrating on making our information more concise and available over the summer holidays.
- Space available to free users will be dropping to 250mb on August 1st 2012. This is to help us keep costs down, but don’t worry if you think you won’t have enough space. We now optimise all images that are uploaded to PrimaryBlogger to make sure they don’t take up too much room. If you think you’re going to run out of space and don’t want to purchase a pro account, let us know via the usually channels at Primary Technology Support and we’ll see if we can shrink your current images down. Remember though, you can always create a new blog each year, create as many as you like! Also try using third party services like video upload site Vimeo & audio upload sites AudioBoo or SoundCloud and embed your files that way.
- We’re going to start doing a weekly plugin spotlight to help you extend your blogs functionality. We hope that giving you regular guides on how to use each of our 300+ plugins, you’ll be able to create an even more amazing blog.
- We’ve made a new community site for you to chat to other bloggers and ask questions. We’ve only just started, but there’s access to forums and live chat so get conversing! We’ll add more soon…
- Finally, we’ve just created a CEOP Widget. It’s available from the Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets area, allowing you to have the CEOP image displaying in your sidebar to report any e-safety issues.